Voting Information

Keep in mind the election is Tuesday November 2nd. Is there a chance you might be out of town? Or are you a Pewaukee resident away at college? If so, ask for an absentee ballot. If you have not registered to vote you can register when you vote. Please do not put it off, there is too much at stake.

In order to register to vote, an individual must:

Be a U.S. citizen;

Be age 18 or older on or before Election Day;

Have resided in an election district or ward for 10 days, with no present intent to move, before any election where the citizen offers to vote;

Not be disqualified from voting for any of the reasons described in §6.03, Wis. Stats.

The following persons shall not be allowed to vote in any election and any attempt to vote shall be rejected:
Any person convicted of treason, felony, or bribery that has not completed the terms of his or her sentence including probation, parole or extended supervision.

A person who has been determined by a court to be incapable of understanding the objective of the elective process or who is under guardianship.

Anyone who has made or become interested, directly or indirectly, in any bet or wager depending upon the result of the election.

If you wish to register to vote at your polling place, you must complete a voter registration application (EB-131), provide your driver's license number (or if you have not been issued a driver's license, provide a state-issued identification card number or provide the last four (4) digits of your social security number), AND have proof of residence indicating that you have lived at your current address for 10 days preceding the election.

If the voter has a current, valid Wisconsin driver’s license but does not know the number and did not bring it to the polling place, poll workers should allow the voter to vote by provisional ballot. (Note: the voter CANNOT use the last 4 digits of their Social Security Number if he or she has been issued a Wisconsin driver’s license). The provisional ballot will not be counted until the voter either:
a) brings his or her driver’s license number to his or her polling place before the polls close at 8:00 pm on Election Day; or
b) transmits (via fax, email, telephone call or personal visit) his or her driver’s license number to the municipal clerk before 4:00 pm on the day after the Election.

If your name does not appear on the voter list at your polling place, you must complete a voter registration application before you will be allowed to vote.

Proof of residence does not include any piece of mail addressed to the voter.

If you are not already registered, you will need to register to vote before an absentee ballot can be sent to you.

Request by Mail

Download the Application For Absentee Ballot (EB-121). Complete the form and mail it to your municipal clerk's office (for the correct address please refer to the Listing of Local Municipal Clerks). The application must be received by the clerk no later than 5:00 PM on the Thursday before the election in order for an absentee ballot to be mailed to you.

In-Person at your Municipal Clerk's Office

This can be done up until 5:00 PM on the day before the election.

If you apply for an absentee ballot in your municipal clerk's office, you must vote immediately, seal your ballot in the proper envelope, and return it to a member of the clerk's staff. No ballots may be taken from the clerk's office.

Deadline for Returning Ballot

The completed ballot must be received by the municipal clerk no later than the day of the election so that it can be delivered to the polling location by 8 PM.

Documents you can use as proof of residence include:

  • a current and valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
  • a current and valid Wisconsin I.D. card.
  • any other official I.D. card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
  • any employer-issued photo I.D. card, issued in the normal course of business, but not including a business card.
  • a university, college or technical college fee card or I.D. card with your photo and current address. **
    ** May be used even if the card does not contain the cardholder’s address, if the educational institution provides a certified student list for use at the polling place
  • a utility bill (e.g., gas, electric, cable TV or telephone) for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before election day.
  • a bank statement
  • a real estate (i.e., property) tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
  • a current residential lease which is effective for a period that includes election day (NOT for first-time voters registering by mail, however).
  • a pay check or a government check or other document issued by unit of government.
Whatever form of proof you supply must contain a complete name, including both the first and last name; and a current and complete residential address, including a numbered street address, if any, and the name of a municipality. Forms which have an expiration date must be valid on election day in order to constitute acceptable proof of residence at that election.

If you don’t have written proof, bring a friend (with identification) who lives in the same municipality. This person can serve as a corroborator (witness) to verify your address. He or she does not need to be a registered voter but must provide proof of residence, which must be in the same municipality.

Wisconsin Voter Registration Form